Monday, February 28, 2011

Shopping

Will and I took a mini-getaway (really mini) to Ogden today. When I went last week, I left a bag at Target. Of course it couldn't be the bag of cheaper items, it had 3 rugs that I bought for our house. Worth going back for. So...we used it as an excuse to head back down.

Sometimes it's just nice to jump in the car with some snacks, some tunes, some diet coke, and enjoy the drive. Today was one of those days. (Poor RJ was at work). Sometimes I miss those carefree college days when I could just jump in the car and do whatever. I guess I could do the same now...but pesky jobs, napping schedules, and budgeting for bills really get in the way. College was so much more free-spirited. Anyone who lived in the Chi Omega house would tell you, one of the best parts was coming home from class and always having someone to do something with. You could barely walk in the door without someone saying, "Want to go grab a coke/go shopping/get lunch/study/gossip/get ice cream?" Don't get me wrong, I adore my more-settled life now. I like the stability of a family, a child, a job, a house...all the things that also bring a lot of responsibility.

Anyway, it was a nice adventure to just go where we wanted today. Ok, where I wanted. Will was pretty much up for anything. He really is such a pleasant kid to do things with...pretty much always smiling and having a good time.

But....here's a mom moment that stumps me. Moms out there...how do you run errands and use the bathroom?! If RJ and I are both there, we just go in shifts. But alone...what do you do with your kid?! Of course the moment we get to a store I totally need to use the bathroom (could have something to do with the amount of diet coke on the drive....duh, like I'd cut that out). Luckily Will is old enough to stand up, so I'm not sitting him on the floor or anything (EW!). Maybe that's another use for the big handicap stall? Maybe the customer service employees are nice enough to also provide child care? (ha!) But really....

Next shopping question....Pants advice. I totally struggle buying pants. I seem to buy them a tad big because I'd rather wear pants a tad big than too tight. No one looks decent in too tight pants. Problem is, I think I buy pants that fit when I try them on. Then I wear them for, you know, an hour and they're all stretched out and big for the rest of the day. So...do I buy a smaller size and hope they stretch? You know that when I do that, it will be the one pair that refuses to stretch and I'm that girl with show-way-too-much-because-they're-too-tight pants. Help.

So there you have it...shopping thoughts?

P.S. Yay for February ending...draggy mcdraggerson month of my life. March seems so much more "springy", plus, duh it's my birthday a month from today!!!! Tomorrow comes a new monthly resolution too...

8 comments:

  1. The bathroom question is a hard one. I usually try to have Charlie in the stroller or cart strapped in and then go in the handicapped stall if we can all fit and if we can't, I just leave him right outside my stall and go really fast! It's the worst, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm ALWAYS up for a Target run. Always.

    2. Yes. The big stalls. Absolutely.

    3. I go through 27 trials pairs before finding something I like and then they inevitably no longer sell that version. Also known as, I'm usually screwed in my jeans shopping...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the big stalls, always! Smith's Marketplace actually has a little baby seat on the wall in the handicapped stall. It is SO awesome. Probably good for under 20 pounds or so.

    I hate buying pants or jeans of any kind. I say if it fits you right when you try it on, that's your best guess. If they fit just right at the store and they are 100% cotton (most jeans are) Do NOT put them in the dryer or they will shrink for sure.

    You know, my favorite place to get jeans is the DI. Seriously. I just love the already washed and worn in feel to them and hey, at $5 a pair... I can buy 5 or 6 of them, go home and really see what I like then, take the rest back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Motherhood counts as a handicap- I mean if you're playing golf and you have your kid there- that's TOTALLY a handicap! Strollers are nice--doesn't always work for a Target run (hello I need a CART or two!) Ian is a big enough booger that he tries to crawl out of the stall while I'm busy- I don't think I've had to try it with my younger one. The seats are brilliant- they fold out from the wall. Bribery also works (for me at least).

    Pants? Bane of my existence. Maybe I should convert to being a skirt wearing junkie and then I wouldn't have to worry about it. I'm usually a thrift store pants shopper (which is sometimes more aggrivating than regular stores) but cheaper and often I find that other people with short legs like me have kindly already done the work of hemming them FOR me. So nice of them. Plus then if they don't fit PERFECTLY I just say- eh I got them at a thrift store whaddya expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bathroom thing is never easy although if they have the handy seat, that is good. I could make a whole blog about my experiences in the bathroom with children. One time I had all three kids with me and we were in the handicapped stall like always but Melia was too little to stand on her own so I held her in my lap (gross I know but when you gotta got you gotta go). Blake thought it would be funny at that moment to unlock the door and open it. Luckily, no one was in the bathroom and I wasn't exposed. Mostly I just go before we leave anywhere and unless I'm going to explode I wait until we get home.

    I have no advice to you whatsoever on the jeans. I still have much difficulty and I HATE shopping for pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the answer is DEPENDS! Adult Diapers. Though... that could seriously hamper pants shopping. I know my trunk doesn't need much more junk added if you catch my drift....

    Your post made me smile. So real. Some blogs seriously lack reality. I appreciate that yours embraces it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the comments- thanks! I was afraid you'd all say, "Oh I just don't ever have time to go to the bathroom. I'm supermom!"

    I should mention that part of the bathroom problem (ha, I'm blogging about bathroom problems!) is that Will is not a fan of being restrained at all. As in, put him in the cart for 5 minutes, great. After that, he'll figure out a way to get himself out. High chair too. He just stands up. Seems safe, eh?

    Glad to know that I'm not the only one with my kid in the big stall, trying to entice him away from the toilet paper. All while trying to distract him from getting interested in the toilet...and not distracting him with anything that he could potentially drop on the bathroom floor, then eat. Whew. Tiring.


    I'll continue with the pants dilemma. There's the whole element of "Will they shrink?" I'd like to say I just won't dry them, but I will. Either out of convenience (as in, I need these pants for work 10 minutes ago!) or out of forgetfulness. Then there's, "Ok, these pants are just the right length for flats...but what if I want to wear them with taller shoes?"

    Maggie- LOVED the thought of getting out the ol' Depends for a shopping trip! HA! Then trying to try pants on too! Making me (literally) chuckle out loud in a room by myself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen some restrooms (in the handicap stall) that have a plastic seat with a seatbelt on the wall (where you could place your toddler while you pee) but unfortunately I think its not that common

    ReplyDelete