Sunday, February 6, 2011

Server Etiquette

It's so interesting to me how some patrons treat their server...Overall, most people are very nice and friendly. But, then there are the others....

A few too-common scenarios in my Sabor life:

Me: "Hi, how are you?"
Customer: "Diet Pepsi with lime."

It's my first instinct to go into teacher mode and say, "Oh, when someone asks you how you are, you need to reply with a similar greeting. Let's practice..." I guess that'd be frowned upon?

Or...

Me: "How's everything tasting?"
Customer just glances up....
Me: "Ok then? Let me know if you need anything....."

Then there's just the general put-out to be there type. I am of the opinion that if it's sooooo much of an inconvenience to go out, or if you are in too nasty of a mood to be pleasant, probably just have a stay-at-home-in-your-jammies type of night. Most (decent) servers are not looking to become your BFF, just to ensure that you have a good experience. Some basic social skills are key in that goal!

4 comments:

  1. Why do people think they can be so rude?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a waitress for almost 4 years and I feel your pain! I always try to be extra nice to my server, because they seriously work SO hard. Some people are so rude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should swap stories sometime...

    ReplyDelete