Monday, February 28, 2011
Sometimes it's just nice to jump in the car with some snacks, some tunes, some diet coke, and enjoy the drive. Today was one of those days. (Poor RJ was at work). Sometimes I miss those carefree college days when I could just jump in the car and do whatever. I guess I could do the same now...but pesky jobs, napping schedules, and budgeting for bills really get in the way. College was so much more free-spirited. Anyone who lived in the Chi Omega house would tell you, one of the best parts was coming home from class and always having someone to do something with. You could barely walk in the door without someone saying, "Want to go grab a coke/go shopping/get lunch/study/gossip/get ice cream?" Don't get me wrong, I adore my more-settled life now. I like the stability of a family, a child, a job, a house...all the things that also bring a lot of responsibility.
Anyway, it was a nice adventure to just go where we wanted today. Ok, where I wanted. Will was pretty much up for anything. He really is such a pleasant kid to do things with...pretty much always smiling and having a good time.
But....here's a mom moment that stumps me. Moms out there...how do you run errands and use the bathroom?! If RJ and I are both there, we just go in shifts. But alone...what do you do with your kid?! Of course the moment we get to a store I totally need to use the bathroom (could have something to do with the amount of diet coke on the drive....duh, like I'd cut that out). Luckily Will is old enough to stand up, so I'm not sitting him on the floor or anything (EW!). Maybe that's another use for the big handicap stall? Maybe the customer service employees are nice enough to also provide child care? (ha!) But really....
Next shopping question....Pants advice. I totally struggle buying pants. I seem to buy them a tad big because I'd rather wear pants a tad big than too tight. No one looks decent in too tight pants. Problem is, I think I buy pants that fit when I try them on. Then I wear them for, you know, an hour and they're all stretched out and big for the rest of the day. So...do I buy a smaller size and hope they stretch? You know that when I do that, it will be the one pair that refuses to stretch and I'm that girl with show-way-too-much-because-they're-too-tight pants. Help.
So there you have it...shopping thoughts?
P.S. Yay for February ending...draggy mcdraggerson month of my life. March seems so much more "springy", plus, duh it's my birthday a month from today!!!! Tomorrow comes a new monthly resolution too...
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Me: "One of my socks has lost its elasticity or something. It keeps gradually falling down. I have to keep pulling it back up and it's driving me crazy!"
Liz: "One of your thongs?!"
Me: "SOCKS! Ssssooocccckkkkssss! On my feet. My SOCKS!"
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
But....Christmas lights up? Now? Almost March?
Yep- just saw it. Too late in my opinion. Jan. 1 is my personal light cutoff! (I sound so scroogish)
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
I totally enjoy my job-all aspects of it.
BUT...it's not being home with RJ and Will.
I just LOVE those long days with no schedule. Thinking, "I should go to the post office today...." and maybe making it there, but not worried if I decide to go for the coke and the pool option instead...
Yesterday (we were off school for Presidents' Day) was such a day. Will and I started off with meeting a dear friend for breakfast. Then we made the drive to Ogden to do a little shopping and meet a friend for lunch. Despite the blizzard weather, I just kept thinking, "Ahhhh...feels like summer." And I long for summer on a regular basis (as in, whenever the weather tells me summer is not near). The schedule, the SUN, the heat, the sitting out on the patio reading, the pool days...ahhhhh. Bliss.
Monday, February 21, 2011
Are you sick of high paid teachers? Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.
That’s right. Let’s give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan — that equals 6 1/2 hours).
Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.
Now how many do they teach in day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
LET’S SEE…. That’s $585 X 180= $105,300 peryear. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).
What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.
Wait a minute — there’s something wrong here! There sure is!
The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student–a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)
WHAT A DEAL!!!!
Sunday, February 20, 2011
There's someone I know that has made some bad choices. This person is in an authoritative role, yet gets very little respect because of the choices. But...now it's all kind of come to a head. I'm totally a full believer in karma, all that what-goes-around-comes-around kind of stuff.
Now that karma seems to be taking its course, I can't help but feel kinda bad for this person...despite the consequences being totally earned (in my opinion). Maybe it just stinks to see people having a hard time in life? Does anyone know what I mean? Once what you wished for to happen has happened, it seems sad?
Friday, February 18, 2011
When he could tell how shocked I was,
he pointed to the top of the menu....
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Monday, February 14, 2011
I really do love Valentine's Day. Like my mom says, it's just about the people you love. Nothing over the top like Christmas can get. We always got little Valentine goodies and treats, nothing huge (except that year in college when my mom sent a roll of Valentine toilet paper in my care package! Best Valentine ever!).
Our school does an amazing Valentine Social...it's like Senior Prom! Decorated beautifully, twinkling lights....as I overheard one boy say, "They've outdone themselves this year!"
It was really beautiful and the kids had a great time dancing! They were very polite and had their fancy outfits on. I overheard one kid say, "I have butterflies!" as the kid behind him is taking deep, calming breaths. Remember your first dance?! Stress!!
Will even came in is best suit....looked adorable! We danced like crazy and had a great time.
Later during the day a BIG box of flowers were delivered. I opened them and the kids just kept asking who they were from....I made them guess, and luckily the guesses didn't take long!
For dinner plans, Liz and I toyed around with a few different strategies for making dinner/taking dinner/skipping dinner/making a 12 course meal/Top Ramen....and decided to go out and eat instead! So....to Gaucho Grill we went. It's a new Brazilian Steakhouse in Logan and we loved it! Go hungry...SO MUCH FOOD!!
Sunday, February 13, 2011
I know, gasp.
Sure, I like a few of her songs ok.
But otherwise, bleh.
And oh the chest pound,
oh the cheesy chest pound...
What I do get....Mick Jagger (and the Rolling Stones). I saw them perform in college. Confession, I didn't really know I liked them until my mom called one day and said, "The Rolling Stones are coming...want to go?" So, we made it a family event. When we went to give our tickets to the usher, he said, "I can upgrade two of these tickets if you want..." Yes, we want! So my brother and I went to the better seats. SUCH an awesome show! We took turns buying beers and rocking out! I left with a few new fave songs and whew, that Mick...he can move!
Friday, February 11, 2011
My class was really on one this morning. "Teacher, I forgot this..." "Teacher, I forgot that..." "Teacher, I didn't know I had to do the homework...." "Teacher...." So, we had a little talk about how third graders should be acting and that they should be able to be responsible to get their things done by now....etc. I gave them the classic line, "I'm disappointed in you and the choices you're making..." (See? Told you I was ready to be a parent.) They could tell I meant it and stoicly (just made that word up I think) got in line. As we walked down the hall in a straight, silent line, I heard the sweet girl behind me. She's totally a peacemaker...will give you a compliment to ease your mood. She whispered to the boy next to her, "Don't you think Mrs. Cox's hair is pretty?" You know, just loud enough to ensure that I heard.
Such a kiss up! Ha, love these little dears.
You know what I need tonight? A good work night. So here I am at school, ready to get to work. Well, of course I'm blogging right now...but after that, to work I go! I love the feeling of having an unlimited amount of time to just work. No hurry, no rush to get home (all they sickies at my house are asleep), just uninterrupted work time with plenty of diet coke, candy, and the tunes blaring!
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Well, for RJ and Will at least.
They're the ones recovering from Bronchitis.
Man, it's a s-l-o-w recovery!
Apparently he's looking forward to long, lazy days spent at the pool too...
He's after those punch passes (he knows the Visa isn't worth anything anyway!).
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Had two "It's been that long?!" moments recently...
First, I was starting to (still meaning to get to that) clean out my closet. I glanced at a sweater and thought something along the lines of, "I still like that sweater...it's fairly new and I haven't worn it much..." Then I realized...I bought that my freshman year of college. 2001. TEN YEARS AGO! I knew because I still remember wearing it to a Rush activity for Chi Omega when I was rushing. I think I'll D.I. said sweater...I mean, ten years!
Second, I had Will sitting on the counter while I gave him some medicine. He reached over and grabbed my iPod from the speakers. It's my old, clunky iPod....but it still works and I still have loads of music and movies on it that I adore. Then it hit me....a boyfriend in college gave it to me...It strikes me as funny that when this boyfriend gave it to me, I had no idea that my child would be playing with it, in my house years later. Weird. I'm old enough to have lost touch with that boyfriend (he was sweet and gave awesome gifts too!), to have a husband, a career, a mortgage, and a child....yet still have my beloved iPod.
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
I feel that the President deserves some respect solely because he is the President.
to form opinions on what our leaders are doing....
but let's voice them efficiently and responsibly.
Monday, February 7, 2011
- Ooooooohhh....Costa Rica is pretty!
- Hello back sweat Brad!
- Michelle is always wearing purple...
- ...and weird necklaces....
- Emily's adorable as always
- I think I like Chantal O.
- Commercial side note...does anyone buy and like these Kay Jewelers creations? Yikes...
- Chantal's maybe kinda 90s-ish with her layered tanks, big claw hair clip, and black eyeliner with white sparkly shadow? Oh and the leather studded bracelet...
- Another helicopter
- Bad grammar, Brad...."This will be all about Chantal and I..."
- Michelle calls someone else egotistical?
- Nice rain metaphor
- Yikes, she's brave!
- It'd be funny if he wimped out now
- Um awkward "legs wrapped tightly around Brad" comment!
- He's an intense kisser
- He's totally into her
- Not sure about Britt...maybe she likes Kay Jewelers?
- Ha, Chantal thanks him like he has done any of the work for the picnic!
- I'm predicting a cheesy feeding-each-other-coconut scene...
- ...or awkward making out in the rain
- Again the bad grammar
- Ha, conveniently there's a room with a king sized bed right there!
- Michelle's so mean. And she still wears big weird necklaces.
- Hello Risky Business attire
- They have good chemistry
- No, Michelle, he's not yours...does she know the premise of this show?!
- Jackie's going to lose it!
- Michelle's "pissed"...shocking!
- Wasn't the pact not to repel down a building?
- Good move for the girl who went first
- Not sure I'd be brave enough to do that, but it does look so cool
- OOOhhhhh...Michelle's going to let him have it!
- Poor Jackie!
- Michelle might just throw him over that cliff
- And he likes it
- She's so moody!
- Ok hot tub...wow Michelle....wow.
- Ha, RJ just walked in the room and said, "This is gross. This is like a brothel."
- Call him out on that Jackie
- Can't decide about Alli...
- Ashley the dentist kinda bugs me...can't tell why....
- I think Michelle's had too much to drink...again....she's more annoying than usual.
- I think Emily's too kid-sister-ish for him
- Well the sabotaging talk should really help things...
- Whoa eyeliner/mascara smudge Emily
- Back tattoo = no bueno
- OK wimpy girls....it's a bug
- Ha....Brad goes into rescue mode when he hears the scream, then drops it
- Double bracelets Michelle?
- Put her in her place Brad...or just make out
- "I don't like when Michelle gets pissed off at me for nothing." Get used to it if you keep her!
- Do you think they get insight about what to wear? Like, "Don't wear a skirt....you'll be riding a horse..."
- Still can't even decide about Brad...
- Yep, Alli, definitely going to be bugs in there
- ....or bats!
- Awkward dinner conversation...Maybe more wine would help?
- I'm afraid Alli is describing their date right now with the lack of a connection
- Uhoh...Alli, I don't think that's what Brad was getting at...
- Here comes the let-down...
- The phrase "At the end of the day..." totally bugs me
- The poor guy that has to go in and get her stuff
- "I'm going to miss him a lot." I bet you'll miss Costa Rica more...and Vegas, and the wine, and the food, and all the perks
- Michelle would. Ew.
- Brad's confusion..."What are you doing? Really, what are you doing?"
- She's totally drunk
- And the necklace again
- She's totally after that rose
- He loves her drama
- I just can't get that whole "she's a hired actress" rumor out of my head
- I think she's totally gorgeous though
- Maybe Emily needs to meet with Brad's therapist next time he's on
- Whoa cheetah print
- Britt is kinda deer-in-the-headlights
- Michelle forgot her bra
- She's scaring all of us, Brad
- Journey shmourney
- "I just don't know how to explain it." ...ABC pays me to cause drama and be nasty to all the girls...cue tears
- I predict Britt to go home
- Michelle: "I don't know if I'm crazy..." Oh so many thoughts....
- I feel like Chantal and Michelle might just go at it at any moment...cat fight!
- ...or maybe silent game girl is going home....can't even remember her name but this game is a lame way to start making out....hello high school!
- Brad looks so done with the drama
- Can she really say I love you?!?! Scary!
- "from the heart" This show is SO CHEESY! Love it!
- Ashley! Dental care and teeth whitening for life!
- Emily! Bleach for your hair for life!
- Britt! Confused looks for life!
- Shawntel! Staring games for life!
- Michelle! Unsolicited drama for life!
- Poor Jackie...I'd be sad to leave Costa Rica and head back to real life.
- Shawntel kinda looks like a brunette version of vampire Madison, no?
- "I think you're one in a million." Right above the line, "It's not you, it's me."
- Anguilla! Jealous!
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Up until now, it's been a cute decoration in his room.
Now he can actually (kinda) ride it...
made him feel more balanced I guess.
A few too-common scenarios in my Sabor life:
Me: "Hi, how are you?"
Customer: "Diet Pepsi with lime."
It's my first instinct to go into teacher mode and say, "Oh, when someone asks you how you are, you need to reply with a similar greeting. Let's practice..." I guess that'd be frowned upon?
Me: "How's everything tasting?"
Customer just glances up....
Me: "Ok then? Let me know if you need anything....."
Then there's just the general put-out to be there type. I am of the opinion that if it's sooooo much of an inconvenience to go out, or if you are in too nasty of a mood to be pleasant, probably just have a stay-at-home-in-your-jammies type of night. Most (decent) servers are not looking to become your BFF, just to ensure that you have a good experience. Some basic social skills are key in that goal!
Friday, February 4, 2011
- Is there anything sadder than a sick baby? Will has had a fever, won't eat or drink, a nasty cough, and is just generally miserable. Doctor says bronchitis.
- We have a pediatrician that I am grateful for and really respect. I'd worry a lot more if we didn't. I've heard some horror stories lately.
- Admittedly, I am enjoying the cuddliness of sick baby. Falling asleep next to me in my bed hasn't happened since about month 2.
- Was supposed to work at Sabor tonight...grateful I could get my shift covered and be home to rest with baby.
- ....and take a 3 hour nap too....
- I'm hungry...and nothing sounds good....if I wasn't so grubby I'd head to Coldstone. Seems like an excellent dinner....except, have you ever been in one of those self-loathing moods (accompanied by the sweats, messy hair, 10 hour old makeup, and maybe even slippers) and thought Coldstone would improve things? But...as you walk in, you realize it's a weekend night and thus, date night? Nothing will make you feel like a cliche old married person living in your once party-hopping college town faster....
- ...but the ice cream will fix it.
- We need new sheets...but instead of just buying new sheets, I want a whole new sheet/comforter set. Those are expensive.
- I have a couple kids in my class whose behavior is just exhausting me and I'm feeling at a loss of what to do to help them. Left school this week feeling like a frustrated failure...I even cried. I never cry.
- Have you ever cried in front of a toddler? Adorable. Will could tell something was wrong, but wasn't sure what to do. So funny. He just kept staring at me with a troubled face. Of course that kicked that lousy mood fast.
- You know what else kicks lousy moods fast? Dinner with old friends. And Bunco night. And Book Club. Ah, it was a good girls' night week....!
- I was invited to a friend's book club. I was nervous to meet 8 women I didn't know...and to get to know 2 women better that I already know. I left feeling like I have 10 friends. Isn't it great how women who come from all different areas, backgrounds, families, professions, etc. can all get together and have valuable conversations? Oh, and laugh! And make comments just inappropriate enough that the table next to us was giving us the eye....
- Um....I think that might be all.
- Except that it's finally the weekend. Ah.....
Thursday, February 3, 2011
In class, we use a class points system. But, the points they earn are letters which spell a vocabulary word each day. The kids love to guess the word as the points come, which provides some great practice of core curriculum words...in a very motivated setting!
One day the word was "repeated addition".
They had earned three points, so the board said, "REP"
One boy jumped from his chair and yelled, "REPENTANCE!"
I said, "Are we in church or school?"
"Oh....yeah....probably not repentance then....." and quietly sat back down!
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
"Teacher, I don't know why I was supposed to write a question mark for the beginning of each answer...so I just wrote the question mark, then the real answer underneath it."
See the example? See how he "over-transferred" the example to every problem? :)