Thursday, January 22, 2009

"...to be womanly always, to be discouraged never..."


Last night was among the hardest in my life. The Utah State chapter of Chi Omega is closing. Now I definitely know the stereotype of sororities...but before you think that, please just think of one thing in your life that you passed judgment on, then actually experienced and changed your mind....or, something in your life that you wish people would not judge. I could go on and on about what Chi Omega has meant to me, and to many others (300,000 nationally to be approximately exact)...but I've already done that here.

Last night, as I heard the words, "This chapter will be closing." come from the National Representative, I was completely heartbroken. Crushed. Sad. Devastated. Overwhelmed. Thoughtful.

Although the decision was made with the best interest of all involved and I wholeheartedly agree that it had to be done given the circumstances.

I couldn't help but think what the future women attending USU will be missing...Although I wish the best to Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Delta- I know they'll be able to continue the legacy of a wonderful Greek life at Utah State, and that many women will have many experiences to enrich their lives within the houses.

I think about my Chi Omega experience and think....
  • No more late night chats in the upper hall.
  • No more throwing buckets of cold water over the shower door on the poor unsuspecting victim.
  • No more long Monday nights in the hot, musty chapter room.
  • No more getting ready in the laundry room.
  • No more picking out dresses for formal.
  • No more flipping late plate tags....
  • No more hawaiian haystacks..
  • No more friendship pillow
  • No more boards....not that I ever had one....ha
  • No more trips to Aggie Station for coke
  • No more all-greek meetings
  • No more recruitment workshop....long summer days....
  • No more backyard fun
  • No more Preference night in pretty black dresses, cheesy songs, candlelight... "in the shades of evening, there will be no grieving...until we meet again....."
  • No more Patty asking me to "just mouth the words" during Pref. singing....
  • No more waiting in the hall for meeting to start
  • No more owl pals...
  • No more Big/Little Sis week...C-H-I-O days....
  • No more sisterhood retreat
  • No more candle passings
  • No more Pass it On book...
  • No more concessions
  • No more Derby Days will the EXs
  • No more Round Up
  • No more Halloween Carnival
  • No more watching the EXs from the sitting room window
  • No more watching the ENs from the kitchen window
  • No more greeting New Members at the TSC patio with red and yellow balloons and a giant banner
  • No more House Meetings-signing up for laundry times, house duties, and hoping for no "hootie duties"
  • No more flag football, softball, basketball...
  • No more ordering tshirts
  • No more Convention in the summer
  • No more sleeping in the chapter room
  • No more hanging out on the balcony deck in the summer
  • No more House Clean-Up (!)
  • No more date dashes
  • No more fraternity formals (yikes)
  • No more Professor Tea
  • No more decorating the hallway bulletin board for Recruitment
  • No more moving cars in the tiny driveway
  • No more Robin's Awards
  • No more trying to balance that weird top-of-a-dress looking thing to wear for composite pictures
  • No more writing in the journal in the sitting room (I have the older, green one if anyone's interested in catching up on old times!)
  • No more more eitiquette lessons from T-rish
  • No more trying to guess the code on the front door when you forgot it
  • No more gathering in the front room for Fireside speakers and lessons
  • No more Cardinal Cabinets
  • No more letters on the front of the house
  • No more trophies in the trophy case
  • No more owls on top of the trophy case
  • No more Super Bowl parties in the chapter room with LOTS of junk food
  • No more Christmas Party with gifts for your Big and Little Sis
  • No more creepy boiler room
  • No more gathering in the Big and Little Pit
  • No more study hours
  • No more cardinal and straw
  • No more white carnations
  • No more Senior Week
  • No more slate meetings
  • No more Initiation

...Ah, a small list of the best 4 years of my life. Anything to add Chi O girls out there?

"We'll try, we'll vie, we'll never die..."

18 comments:

  1. Katie I love this. It made me cry a little. I am completely heart broken. It makes me feel bad that girls in the future at Utah State, will not be able to have the great experiences that Chi Omega brought into my life. Heres to Chi Omega. P.S. I had my fair share of Hootie Duties!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how sad, so sad. I mean, it made me sad to hear what happened there -- but things are way worse at SDSU here and they do nothing -- except have the cops outside of our house every night. And USU needs its Greek life -- I know I wasn't an official Chi O -- but your girls were so sweet to me always and I just felt so much love at that house. It's sad to see the chapter closing -- I grew up hearing stories of my grandma talking of her Chi-O days and my aunts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate your tribute to Chi O brought me to tears. This chapter has meant so much to me in my life. I'm so sad to see it go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was one of those people who had judged the sorority "type" until you rushed when we were roommates. I met a lot of sweet Chi Omega girls through you. I'm sad to see that your chapter will be closing. I know how much it meant to you to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow... Heartbreaking. Your list made me smile a lot but then get really sad. Not good, not good at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear that Katie. I will admit that it has been a long time since I have heard the term hootie duties though,that did give me quite a little laugh.

    But look at all the fun things that you have to remember from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah that is not fun. Your list was great, made me smile quite a few times...especially the musty Chapter room, creepy boiler room, little and big pits, oh wait..I'm about to go through the whole list again. We really had some awesome times--I'm so thankful that we were able to be a part of it together and how it will always be a part of our lives. Love you BF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Katie, Bones and I have been talking about this so much. Your list made my eyes water, and I have had a pit in my stomach ever since she told me it was closing. If it wasn't for Chi Omega I would not know any of you, and I can't imagine life without everyone. I am so grateful for everything chi omega has taught me. I would be happy to do anything to keep the house in place. Or write a letter to say how it impacted my life.
    Love in Chi Omega, Holly 1841
    Long live table dances and Monifa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just heard last night about the closing of the chapter I am just so heart broken. I could not have had a better experience as a Chi Omega. Somedays I long for a day at the Chi'o house. Always someone to talk to and make you laugh or to go to lunch with or to sit and study with while eating penny candy. Such wonderful memories. I miss all you girls

    Kelly 1838

    ReplyDelete
  10. PIN! I love this list. I read it and re-read it on the phone with Holl-Nuts my chi-o house upper hall best back room roomy. Thanks for the memories, friendship and sisterhood Chi- Omega.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah we can't forget...Cheese Plate, Table Dancing, watching Hobbs fall into the window-well, queso movie night watching the bachelor or whatever dating show happened to be on that season. Getting ready for our night on the town at 9:30pm....the list goes on

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so sad when I heard they were closing our chapter. I have so many wonderful memories as a chio and living in the house. I will always be grateful for my sisters/friends at ChiO.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post made me want to cry. I was heart broken when I heard about the chapter closing. I hope that one day the Chi-O's will be able to return to USU. Alpha Gamma will always be a part of me. Thanks for your post, Katie!

    p.s. No more Omega Man (at least at USU), no more dancing on tables, and no more "I think we're alone now...". You don't know how many times that song has come on the radio and I have sang it from the top of my lungs. My husband will never understand my excitement when that song comes on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stir,

    Thanks for this great list. It has been so crazy these last few months. I just hate it. I've tried to ignore the fact that XO is no longer at USU. Treating it as business. Yet, is so close to me! Your list was awesome though.

    I have Alpha Gamma to thank for opening the door to everything, my major, best friends, A-Team...

    And it all started when some dumb pledge slept on your floor. "This is the worst pain I've ever felt in my entire life!" "Is that for here, or to go?" Text buddies, Autumn Roast, moffia, Lex's mug, Camilla and Emily's adventures, your red bug, OAR...dang.

    Love you Stir.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie,
    Thanks for posting a great tribute to Alpha Gamma. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to be a Chi Omega. I met many wonderful people and learned the importance of friendship. I am so sad that we will not have the opportunity to take our children to the old XO house. I loved intramural flag football- we were always the best, and "great white owl night".
    Love in XO,
    Sarah 1832

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your list!! I am surprised how much I have cried this week (and you all know I am not a crier). I am SO heartbroken! But I am also SO happy I had the opportunities Chi Omega gave me and met great people like you!

    Love ya lots!
    Suker 1836

    ReplyDelete
  17. Steuri,

    Though not a XO you know I love you girls. And I love USU! This list brings back TONS of memories... wow!!! Sorry about all the crap going down there.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i just stumbled across your blog and i am a chi o at UMaine (Xi Beta) and i just wanted to say that this was so touching. i do not know what happened, but i am so sorry this happened. i have only been in chi o for 2.5 years and will be graduating in may, but the impact that chi o has had on me is second to none. i am glad to see that chi o has touched your life and i truly wish you the best!

    LICO
    Brittany Brown

    ReplyDelete