Monday, January 19, 2009

God Bless the USA (and everyone else too)


I saw this quote on my Starbucks cup today....I liked it...and wish I could watch the inauguration tomorrow. I'll have to opt for online later after work.

"My fellow citizens, our nation is poised for greatness. We must do what we know is right and do it with all our might Let history say of us, 'These were the golden years- when the American Revolution was reborn, when freedom gained new life, when America reached for her best.'"

-President Ronald Reagan, Inaugural Address January 21, 1985

Which reminds me that in school this week we've been talking about Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement. I love that the kids are SHOCKED that blacks vs. whites stuff went on at all. In one book we were reading, it said that "Whites Only" signs were made illegal. One girl passionately shouted out, "Yeah! That's right!"


When we talked about what segregation means, I said, "What do you think about that? Do you think that's ok?" A collective, horrified, "NO!!!!" rang out across my classroom. They can't even fathom this even happened, and that I would even ask what they think of it.

We are destined for a better, more equal world for all.

On another note...the people STILL protesting President Bush at the White House right now (just heard it on the news): GIVE IT UP PEOPLE! Put your shoes down and walk away. No matter what you agree or disagree with about our current (for less than 24 more hours...) President, I feel like he deserves a certain amount of respect solely for being our President.

2 comments:

  1. If you want I can record it tomorrow so you can watch it when you get done at school. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love all the optomism this week. I just pray that this loving, openmindedness continues. We need it!! We could all learn so much from the kids.

    ReplyDelete