Sunday, July 20, 2008

St. Louis

Last week I was able to travel to St. Louis for Chi Omega's national convention. What, you may ask, does a sorority need to possibly get 1200 girls together once every two years for?! (Insert bad pillowfight joke here...)


Well, here is where I get on my soapbox...You see, as I have described to RJ, without growing up with a religion, it's not too far of a fetch to say Chi Omega is like a religion to me. Yes, I know that sounds a bit ridiculous...let me explain. It has a very long-standing history of strong values and principles to guide your life. Chi Omega was the first place that I really could see people from ALL backgrounds coming together. No matter your race, socio-economic status, hometown, religion, etc...everyone came together for some common goals. Chi Omega was truly where I learned that it's ok to be Mormon or not Mormon. Growing up as a non-Mormon in Utah had its share of challenges, but this was the first place I had modeled for me that yes, you can be L.D.S. and be a wonderful person, and yes, you can be non-L.D.S. and be a wonderful person. And this is only one example. I truly met the most caring group of girls who work hard. And yes, sure, we went to our share of parties....and yes, some of us drank and some of us didn't...but, we all respected each other, we all helped each other, we all had fun together. I learned so many valuable life skills-conflict resolution, respect for different backgrounds, work ethic, doing what you say you will do, etiquette at a fancy dinner, networking, study skills...etc. And every job I've had in Logan (even my teaching job now) was obtained because of some kind of a Greek connection. And isn't all of that what college is also about?! I mean, yeah, we're there for a degree and a solid education....but how many life skills we all learn! Wow...

I know many people can relate to some kind of an organization like this, and Chi Omega is the one that does it for me. I can truly say I whole-heartedly believe in every one of its principles and purposes. Our public "creed" is called The Symphony, and it is honestly beautiful because I think it's a great general guideline for LIFE!

To live constantly above snobbery of word or deed;
to place scholarship before social obligations;
and character before appearances;
to be, in the best sense, democratic rather than 'exclusive',
and lovable rather than 'popular';
to work earnestly, to speak kindly, to act sincerely,
to choose thoughtfully that course which occasion and conscience demand;
to be womanly always;
to be discouraged never;
in a word, to be loyal under any and all circumstances to my Fraternity
and her highest teachings and to have her welfare ever at heart
that she may be a symphony of high purpose
and helpfulness in which there is no discordant note.
Ethel Switzer Howard, Xi Chapter, Northwestern University, 1904

Anyway, Chi Omega is doing some fabulous things...for instance, in the last 5 years, Chi Omega has raised $4.5 million for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and contributed over 274,000 volunteer hours. At the St. Louis convention, we were able to hear from a variety of inspirational speakers, including Jan E. Langbein who is the Executive Director of Genesis Women's Shelter in Dallas. She was recently appointed by President Bush to be Senior Policy Advisor to the Office of Violence Against Women. (And she's a Chi Omega too of course!) She was a great speaker, one of those that just make you want to jump out of your seat!

We also heard from Cordia Harrington, who, as a single mom bought a McDonald's franchise. But, she didn't like the buns they were using...so she baked her own. Well, that turned into The Tennessee Bun Company. She now ships her buns to EVERY McDonald's! Her factory produces 1,000 buns per minute!

One of my favorite parts was the Make-A-Wish Luncheon. The speaker was a Chi Omega who had a sister receive a wish from Make-A-Wish. Honestly, I started writing this post with the intent of telling her story...but I know I won't do it justice and anyone reading this won't feel the magnitude of her speech. Basically, when she had the opportunity to state what her wish would be, she wanted her wish to be for all the 155 Charlotte area children waiting on a wish to be granted, to get their wish! It's an amazing story...if you are so inclined, you can check it out here: (click on the logo)

Anyway, St. Louis was a great experience! As I finish with my sorority soapbox, I'll leave you with these facts:



Nationally, 71% of all Greeks graduate, while only 50% of non-Greeks graduate.
The All Greek GPA is higher than the overall collegiate GPA
Since 1910, 85% of the Supreme Court Justices have been Greek.
85% of the Fortune 500 key executives are Greek.
Of the nation's 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by Greeks.
76% of Who's Who in America are Greek.
All but two Presidents since 1825 have been Greek.
70% of the U.S. Presidents' cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
76% of U.S. Senators are Greek.
Both women elected to the U.S. Supreme Court were sorority members.

9 comments:

  1. You cute girl! I didn't rush Greek (I decided to do an LDS sorority instead) but I love the Chi O's in my life (lil sis, Cat, and of course, Chelsea, and many, many more!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoveloveLOVE this post!! While at USU I had kind of "strayed" from my religion, and I agree, Chi-O filled that role for me. It was a wonderful time full of all the things you talked about and more. I am so grateful for the short two years I spent as a Chi Omega and know that a large part of who I am can be attributed to that great organization.

    Do you get the Eleusis? In the last edition there was an article that really spoke to me, about intelligent women. I think you'd like it, too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now those are some pretty great statistics, I wish that I could say that I had a wonderful and empowering force like that while I was in school.

    I am glad that you had a good trip, I love hearing motivational speakers and seeing the difference just one person is able to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, you truly lived "the Symphony" You should never have to defend your sorority. You are an amazing group, with clear goals, and an attitude of service. If only more people could be dedicated to an organization so focused on positive things! I think it's great!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering where you were! Usually you post pretty frequently. I am glad you got to go to St. Louis, what a wonderful experience. I agree with you whole heartedly, Chi Omega really did change my life for the better. It was such a wonderful experience and I miss it in my life all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky are you! This is possibly one of the best posts I have read on anyone's blog in a very long time. I love Chi Omega so much and your words brought tears to my eyes. I am also incredibly grateful for my experiences and what I learned through this wonderful organization we were lucky enough to be a part of. I don't know how I would have gotten through certain moments in college without all of our great girls. I will forever be in debt to Chi-O for what I learned and the second family I inherited.

    I actually spoke to headquarters about starting a Canadian alumnai group, but they didn't feel it was worth it, because their are so few almunai up here and they are spread all across the country. Maybe one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie I love your post. You put the "mega" in Chi Omega!

    (I hope that isn't an overused joke. I'm feeling pretty clever right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah Chi Omega. I do love it (I such an idiot for leaving when I did...). Your post was awesome. And I haven't heard/read the symphony in so long, it was great to see it again.

    (How's married life? And how are you?)

    ReplyDelete