Thursday, March 18, 2010

FTM

FTM = First Time Mom, a common acronym on Babycenter, a site I frequent.

And today I felt like one for sure! Actually, add a "D" in front for dumb!

So at Will's last visit, his pediatrician referred him for physical therapy because he was a little concerned about his neck muscles and head shape. He seemed to favor one side, and his head had a tiny flat spot. So...today was the big day.

The occupational therapist was great, asking all kinds of questions and playing with Will while measuring his head and neck. She asked about how much time he spends daily in his bouncer/swing/exersaucer, etc. I guessed maybe an hour or two total. We kept chatting and she asked about how his sleeping schedule is. I mentioned something about how he likes to sleep in his swing. "Wait...what?"

Ooops. Who knew that if he slept in his swing nightly his head would be just a tad misshapen? Well...not me. Turn that 1-2 hours estimation to 9-10. Ooops. She was very kind and didn't make me feel like an idiot (I did enough of that to myself) as she explained that that's what this was likely from. Honestly, it didn't even occur to me....he just has always slept so well in it that we just relied on it. He could take 15-20 min to put himself to sleep in his crib, or 10 seconds in his swing. Easy choice. And...in my defense, I asked the pediatrician if it was ok for him to sleep in it and he said yes...although, looking back maybe I didn't clarify that I meant nightly.

Anyway, felt super lame. And immediately called RJ, then my mom (the order around here when things are super good or super oops).... then disassembled the beloved swing. And put sheets on the crib.

So....(tear) tonight's the big first night in his own room, in his own crib! Of course I got myself all psyched up and made sure he was fed, diapered, orajel-ed and Tylenol-ed (2 teeth are in!)....so that I'd have no reason to think he wasn't ok as we prepared for some crying.

And then....

Silence.

The kid went right to sleep! Whew! It's only been at hour, so we'll hope for the best. I'm totally fine with getting up to feed him still. We'll phase that part out later...the room transition more than 3 feet away from me is hard enough on him....er, me. Is it selfish that I kinda secretly like when he wakes up in the early morning hours? It's like our own time before I head out for the craziness that is 26 third graders and he gets dad all to himself. The house is just silent and calm and we can just cuddle and coo.

Anyway....Will's head/neck issue should be resolved in 3 weeks with the exercises we were taught...and with the swing packed up in the garage. Let's hope we don't get desperate and put the poor kid swinging out in the garage...

4 comments:

  1. so great! turner is in his crib, but when we want an extra hour of sleep on those weekend mornings we put him in the swing....i admit it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big transition (mostly for mama) to put the baby in the crib. We only just did it for Che!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the rest of the night went well for you. What a little trooper to give you a little break and go right to sleep, if you want that to keep happening maybe he should wait a little longer to start on the Diet Coke. That was a really funny picture by the way.

    ReplyDelete