Saturday, March 3, 2012

"Bagel Store"

In college, I worked as a nanny for a wonderful family. Their son, Andrew, and I went to Einstein's Bagels often. He deemed it "The Bagel Store". I also worked at Einstein's in college...(and Rite-Aid, and at Cafe Sabor....)

I adored both (all, really) jobs. Einstein's was such a fun place to work-great people, an awesome boss, yummy food, and enough coffee to feed (start) my addiction. Those early Saturday and Sunday morning shifts sure came early after a fun night out...but all in all, I loved it there.

So, today, Will and I went to "The Bagel Store". It's really surreal for me to reminisce about working there and the fun of college, as I'm there with my own child nearly 10 years later!



The memories of dragging myself out of my bunk bed at the Chi Omega house to put on my khakis, Einstein's seasonal-themed tshirt (with the forever embedded everything bagel smell!), and visor...to drive to work and get started on my favorite vanilla hazelnut coffee. Memories of my friends coming in to visit about 4 hours later, at a normal college wake up time! Memories of taking the extra, to be thrown away, bagels home to the house to share.

Ah...the good old' days.



It's just so weird to me to think of mopping those same floors (loathed that part!), restocking the lettuce, refilling those same napkin dispensers....if I could have glimpsed into the future, thinking that I'd see myself as a wife, mom, teacher eating in that same corner....so strange.

The best part was when W held his bagel up to his eye and said, "Mama? See you!"

...or when he looked at the huge pictures on the wall. There's one with a bull rider, but instead of a bull, a giant bagel. Will couldn't figure it out and kept saying, "Sit? Sit? Bagel?" Except that "sit" had a "sh" sound in it...awkward! There I was, repeating, "Yeah, SIT. He's sitting on a bagel!"

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. Ha! Nice...

    And their veggie sandwich is one of my absolute favorites. Though, you have to sub onion/chive smear for whatever it is they say is better. They lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so cute! I've had that same thing with my own kids around town. it is pretty weird!

    And, um, I've never been to Einstein. I was going to say why do they have lettuce, but Tawnya's comment mentions a sandwich? So they make sandwiches between two bagels? That does not seem yummy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man. I may have to bring you a veggie sandwich. So.Very.Good. Sliced bagel, onion / chive smear / tomatoes, sprouts, onion and cucumber. Mmmmm.....

    Well. I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait....really?! You've NEVER been there? And you've NEVER had a bagel sandwich?! Is this some kind of sick joke?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I know. I'm not a huge bagel fan. I have had Einstein bagels before once at Ellis and I will admit that if all bagels tasted like that, I'd get the bagel-love, but most of them are just nasty. I will say, though, that the thought of a sandwich made of them still doesn't sound great.

    My husband would LOVE it if I wanted to go there, so maybe I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete