Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Herm's Inn

Last weekend, we ventured out to try the new Herm's Inn, a local breakfast/lunch joint.

I heard the story of Herm...that the building was an old gas station about 70 years ago. During the Prohibition, Herm was making Moonshine up the canyon. Someone got word that he was about to get busted, so they ran ahead to tell him. In his effort to get rid of things and get back down the canyon quickly, he crashed and died....and the gas station has sat, empty for all this time. Can anyone confirm that this story is true? I'm curious!

Anyway- the building was bought and rented to a local restaurateur (what chatted at our table for a bit and is great) and a partner, who owns a similar place, Eggs in the City, in SLC (very close to my parents' house).

Herm's is redone with a lot of character- really cozy and fun inside. Everyone was ultra friendly and the food was delicious! I'm dying to go back and try lunch.



These are the original signs, and are now inside the restaurant. They have new ones outside.



Cute Mason jar mugs...and a cardboard deer (the only kind of deer I think should be on walls).



We were there on St. Patrick's Day...festive green pancakes and a (delicious!) shamrock cookie!



My amazing skillet that they were happy to customize for me. I love the idea of little local eateries...so quaint and fun...and of course, delicious!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. Hey Katie! It has been awhile! I love keeping up with your blog. It always makes me smile. But this post made me cry!! I used to pass this EVERYDAY when I would take my husband lunch at the Water Lab when they were in the construction stages. I would say all the time, "I hope that done by the time we move". Sadly not. But I am so glad you enjoyed it! Enjoy it double for me next time. -Karilyn *Flake*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Second time I've heard of this and still have no idea where it is. Care to enlighten because with such glowing reviews I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lora - on Canyon Road at the VERY end - right before you hit 1st dam from the Island. (and I was kinda thinking if you are up to have Ben mobile we should try it one Tuesday...)

    ReplyDelete