Thursday, August 6, 2009

Story: Part 1

OK So I have a post I've been meaning to do for a while...then as I was reading my book tonight, I read a great part that reminded me again of my intended post. So...as a preface, here is the excerpt from my book. Story to come tomorrow. It'll be two long posts, but I think it'll be worth reading. And if you think it's not...well...sorry, I owe you!

[Two friends are arguing because one has done something that she believes makes her a bad person.]

"Nat," she murmurs. "Let me remind you of something. Not so long ago, you and I were walking to the station. I can't remember why. Anyway, we're walking along and you shout, 'Wait!' And you crouch down and I see this hideous fluorescent green caterpillar on the pavement. It's the biggest bloody creepy-crawly I've ever seen. I wouldn't even dare stamp on it. And I watch you pick up this creature..."

"Oh yeah," I say, "he was really cute, he was a bright green pudgy thing, he was stranded-"

"And I watch you flap around, looking for a the right leaf to place this thing on, and eventually you find one, and the caterpillar won't stick, and I hear you say-hear you with my own ears, say- 'Come on, darling, you've got work to do, you've got to become a butterfly!'"

She pauses,. "Now that," she adds softly, "is a person with a beautiful soul."

This reminds me of my post for tomorrow because this is exactly the kind of house I grew up...ants in the kitchen? My mom swept them up and took them outside to live. Too many to sweep? Then she vaccuumed them up and emptied the vaccuum out in the garden for them to live. A big, gross spider? Even he (or she) must have a family in a web somewhere waiting, and he deserves to go outside too...even if it involved frantically carrying the cup he was trapped in and then throwing it as far from the door as possible...we even had a designated "Spider Cup" that was kept on the dryer!

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear what your story is. I am very intrigued. I do remember you talking about all the animals that you had in your home growing up. How funny that you even had a "spider cup".

    ReplyDelete