Sunday, August 16, 2009

Michael Vick bugs me.

I'm watching 60 Minutes. They're interviewing Michael Vick about the dogfighting ring. Ugh. He bugs me.



"I knew the consequences of my choices the second they shut that jail door on my first day there." No, I don't think he did. I think remorse takes more time than that. And he lied about it all for so long...to police, to family, to the Falcons coach who backed him up.....He just keeps saying how he's so sorry, "hurt I've never felt before", and how "I cried myself to sleep many nights in jail." Cliche. And yeah, you better have at least cried.



Then he goes on about how he's "so disgusted" about what he did. The interviewer asked why he was disgusted. "That I couldn't tell the people I was doing it with to stop, that my family and my career were at stake." Then the interviewer asks, "What about the dogs?" "Oh yeah, I was disgusted about the dogs....Football doesn't even matter." Weird...you JUST said your career was at stake and said NOTHING about the dogs. Ugh. I don't think I buy it. I think his lawyers and his involvement with the Humane Society (and is that a sentenced involvement, or by choice?) are to aid his career image.



I just can't buy that someone can do that to innocent animals-graphic, horrible deaths- for SIX YEARS and can suddenly be "healed". I believe that's a character issue. We all make mistakes, we all do things we regret. But more like one time things. Not inhumane, awful things like shocking, beating, electrocuting, drowning for SIX YEARS. Then suddently understand it all after the jail door slams on day one.

This is actually one of his dogs. I mean really. I know that some people just aren't animal people, and that's fine. You can certainly choose to not own one, not to ever pet one. But to subject a helpless animal to THIS?!


I'm done venting now. What do you bloggers out there think?

9 comments:

  1. I haven't followed this story a lot but do know a little about it. I believe he got off way too easy of course. He definitely has something wrong in his head. He's a professional footbal player who couldn't have been motivated to do this by money. Not saying that if you need money than it's justified. I'm just saying I think he did it purely for pleasure which is sick, wrong, and demented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...didn't even think of that, good point. He clearly didn't need the money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first off ..thanks for posting this ..I have been meaning to post something about vick. Umm, what do they say? Most psycopaths starts with helpless animals? Something definetly wrong, I never sense remorse at all from this man. If he is remorseful it is about his career and reputation and nothing to do with the dogs. and yes i do think that animal cruelty like this should be a felony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me sick to even think about Michael Vick. And I hate that he is going to be playing in the NFL again. Yes, I think people can change and feel remorse for things they have done but I also feel like he has a team of people who have coached him to say the right things. Anyone who can do that to an innocent animal is a sick, sick person! There's my rant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with all of you and I am soo not an animal person! It saddens and completely disgusts me when I hear about the things that happened to his dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i totally agree!! i am so disgusted by him and i hope he gets booed on and off the field for the rest of his life. that is just sick and wrong and i think instead of jail they should have done to him what he was doing to those poor dogs. THAT would be justice!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a fan of pit bulls so Michael Vick is a horrible person to me. However, I have to believe that people can change. Dog fighting is a cultural problem in many areas of the country, some people just don't understand why injuring a dog is bad. I truly believe that helping people understand the wrongs and making them work with the Humane society and having to give a large portion of their paycheck to these charities is a good thing. With a huge spotlight, Vick can never hurt another dog again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Humane Society involvement was mandatory. They made it specific to him doing volunteer hours and not paying money. That's good but obviously was not effective, because he clearly does not have any remorse for those poor animals.

    I think they did just pass a law that makes animal cruelty a felony in Utah. I am fully behind that because, as Lysh said, psychopathic behavior begins with hurting animals.

    I hope he did a lot more than cry in prison, but being Michael Vick I'm sure no one dared touch him.

    A**hole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah he cried in prison because he was in prison. the problem with this man is watching these animals destroy each other, but no tears then! no conscience does that man have.

    ReplyDelete