Friday, December 19, 2008

Why He's So Rad...

Of course I could be a tad biased here....but I just really like the guy I married. He's just...so great. A little background...every holiday is HUGE at the school. Because of him. He goes all out for the kids--sure, he enjoys it. But really it's to see the looks on their faces, especially the sweet ones who don't get much of that at home. I should say too that this is all in fun...he doesn't get paid for it. He gets paid for being the computer teacher for 5 hours out of the day. He could reasonably leave at 2:30 everyday. But...For Halloween, he makes a spook alley downstairs at the school--not like a few spider webs type...like works for HOURS and goes ALL OUT. It's a big hit. And for Christmas he decorates the WHOLE gym and hall leading up to it. Again, the man goes crazy. We're not talking a string or two of lights, we're talking elaborate. And he does a whole Christmas play/program for the school. I think it's super cool because the kids get to actually participate, not just sing a song or two. And there's a very exciting play going on too...you really need to see one...you find yourself saying, "Who thought of all this?!"

So...this year, the new music teacher headed up the Christmas program...and it was fabulous! The kids learned great songs and had a great time performing. I wondered if my sweet husband would still decorate at school at all or do anything....I decided to keep quiet and watch. So...today he arranged for every kid to get a candy cane tomorrow, delivered by Santa and The Grinch to each classroom...to be decided where they start by which class is singing "Here Comes Santa Claus" the loudest. FUN! I probably would have just stuck them in teacher's boxes to pass them out. The guy has a knack for making things special. He also whipped out a quick ETV (Ellis TV-the tv program he does for the school) for tomorrow morning. I knew he couldn't let Christmas go without some kind of celebration for the kids!

One more thing...as I was thinking how great and creative he is... I was thinking of his latest project. Again, something you need to see to "get"...he makes these "Garbage Monster" movies about a monster that lives in the dungeon of Ellis. Instant success. When I first went to see Ellis after I got my job there, I heard about this creature in the first 10 minutes of being there! Famous. The latest installment will be coming out this spring, and for the kids it couldn't come fast enough. SO...there's also been a recent problem with running in the halls....put two and two together...instead of handing out white slips and getting angry at the kids, he gets creative (seeing a pattern?) and puts together a contest. Classes can earn points with their hallway behavior and their lunchroom behavior....winning class gets to STAR in the movie! You can imagine how much more this is doing to curb the running than negative reinforcement. Amazing. Anyway....This is a L-O-N-G blog post, full of rambling....and if you're still with me by now...sorry! It's 12:30 and I'm tired! In short....I like my husband. A lot.

3 comments:

  1. aww... you sure scored yourself a winner! i love all those cute things he does for the little kiddlings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two make the greatest pair! I am totally amazed and what RJ does for Ellis, and sometimes secretly wish he could infuse some of his excitement into Wilson. What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is seriously some great stuff. He sounds like he was made for teaching. I wish that there were more teachers that were fun like you and him. I hope that you will update us on how the Santa/Grinch visits go. And maybe at the end of the year you could post the movie.

    ReplyDelete