Friday, February 27, 2009

Karma....it always comes around

What comes around goes around...

In Texas, the very first workshop we went to started out fine. Then the presenter got up. The man talked SO FAST. I mean, I know I'm a fast talker, but this man was on dynamite speed. And you know those nervous habits we all have....Um, huh?, what?, well.....etc. This man said, "If you will..." OVER and OVER. It got so bad that my friend Denise turned to me and said, "I don't think I will...." ha!

Then I started keeping track....20 minutes and 28 tally marks later....We left. I thought, really, who should clue this man in? You'd think the company making the presentation with him would mention it, or even the poor man's wife. If my husband repeated one phrase more than once a minute for goodness sake, I think I'd be so annoyed I'd HAVE to clue him in.

The whole rest of the trip we successfully concluded most sentences to each other with, "If you will..." It was the joke of the trip for sure.

So..yesterday I'm sitting in reading groups at school. We're talking about decoding multisyllabic words and a student asks a question. I explain....blah, blah, blah....and finish with, "Does that make sense?" The student nods as another student chimes in, "Teacher, you say that a lot...." "I say what a lot?" "You say, 'Does that make sense?' a lot." "I do?!" I was completely shocked...I have NO idea I EVER say that phrase, let alone A LOT! The whole 6 student group nods simultaneously, assuring me, "Yes, teacher, you say it to the class all the time." I say, "Like when?" Still not quite believing this.... "Like all the time when you're teaching us during the day. You explain things, then you ask, 'Does that make sense?'" Wow.

So, I, trying to be funny and thinking of the famous "If you will..." man, say, "Ha...you guys should start keeping track of how many times I say it!" Little sweet student says, "I already am!!!" And points to the corner of her paper where there are 6 tally marks.

What comes around goes around...

3 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! I did the same thing to one of my teachers who said "um" a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like children to keep you honest! So funny. I love that they showed you the tally marks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally there with you on the "Does that make sense thing" Funny honest children! My students are just telling me I'm getting fatter every day now. :)

    ReplyDelete