Tuesday, June 24, 2008

You know it's going to be a bad night at work when...


I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day at work on Saturday. R.J. said I should move to Australia....but I think I'll follow in Lindsey's footsteps instead and blog about it...so...

You know it's going to be a bad day at Cafe Sabor when....

-You start it off by checking the schedule three times in the previous week to see when you work

-Then you leave your phone in your husband's car Friday night (which you've never done before, it's always faithfully put on the nightstand, alarm set....)

-As you get ready for bed you start your work clothes in the washer to get all that dried guacamole and sour cream off...


-As you are brushing your teeth, the water in the whole house gets shut off somehow...

-So you stop the washer after it has already filled and leave the clothes to soak

-As you are getting in bed, you say, "Husband, I left my phone in your car. Do I need it for anything?" and he replies, "Nope, you don't work tomorrow so you don't need to set an alarm, and if there's any sort of an emergency I have my phone."

-So you blissfully sleep until 10ish the next day....


-Then you walk the dog....

-Then you make breakfast....

-Then 12:30 rolls around and you think, I should go get my phone....

-AND....you see you have 4 MISSED CALLS AND TEXTS from people at work because YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE AT WORK 11:30ish.....

-So, you frantically call your very understanding and nice manager and say you'll hurry....

-Then you realize that since the water was turned off, your clothes are still soaking in a washer full of soapy water....

-So you run the entire cycle and dry them on hot for as long as you can spare....


-Then you RUN out the door in literally still dripping clothes and race to work.


-As you arrive, there are some Carne Azada Quesadillas to be ran to another table.


-You pick them up, reach over to grab another plate and....

-They fall. Just slide right off to the floor.
-So, you frantically beg the cooks to make you a new one "muy rapido"...

-But instead they spot the curling iron burn on your neck and laugh hysterically thinking it's a love mark....


-So, you finally convince them to make the quesadillas, with (as the ticket says) no pico de gallo, no sour cream, no guac...


-but, you fail to see the giant, in caps, NO MUSHROOMS part....


-And you take it out to the table, who eats half of it....

-Then realizes there in mushrooms in it...


-And has to literally run out and home because the man needs his medication, he's deathly allergic to mushrooms....


-And his face is already puffing up and getting red, and he's acting strange...

-So you silently pray to not harm any more customers for the day and...


you chalk it up to one terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day....and look up housing in Australia....

7 comments:

  1. Oh Katie! That sounds like a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day and I am so SORRY! What a terrible experience... I sure hope work goes better the next time. I sure do miss you at summer school, but things are going really well this year. It is nice to know what I am doing, and my class is not nearly as crazy. YEA! I would still love our classes to be pen pals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KATIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I was thinking this was a terrible horrible no good very bad JOKE! (by the way I love that book and need to get it for my kids!) You poor thing, doubles all week? I am soo sorry, you deserve so serious pampering from RJ! Ah, my stomach is turning just thinking about your day! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honey. That's the stuff nightmare's are made of. Maybe some day in the far distant future it will be funny, but for now Australia sounds pretty good. Or maybe just hiding under the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You win for the worst day eva' caetgory! Seriously I love that book...let's go to Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Katie, this is Lonna, I love your blog, and I love this book too.

    I am sorry for the bad days that the food service business brings, but what a trooper you are to continue to deal with it and I am sure that you do it with a great attitude too.

    I too have had days that left me thinking of living in Australia, but then I think about packing and I realize that it is not that bad.

    I also remember wearing damp works shirts because of last minute schedules. As I read through this post my heart went out to you, I know exactly where you are coming from. If you do decide on Australia, you should pop into Austin first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you mentioned this book. It is my all time favorite book in the world! It helps to describe so many days throughout life.

    The great thing about work is that you do get to leave at the end of the day and tomorrow is another day. I do feel for you and all servers because of what you go through. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes. I think your bad day tops mine for sure. Being a server can be SO hard sometimes (seriously!) so I totally understand. I worked at Spaghetti Factory and my FIRST DAY out (alone) I spilled my tray full of drinks all over a 12 year old boy.... it was a table of 11 people. I went into the bathroom and cried, but you get over it!Hope your next day is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete