Monday, June 16, 2008

Well....

I secretly like Dr. Laura!



Here's how it happened....
My mom LOVES her, like hangs on to her every word! In high school, I would come home to Dr. Laura blaring through the house as my mom did cleaning and such. And...SHE DROVE ME NUTS (Dr.Laura, not my mom!)!


One particular time she advised a mother of a 15 year old girl to cancel her sweet 16 birthday party because she had dyed her hair when her mother told her not to. I thought this was ridiculous-canceling a major milestone event because of blonde rather than natural brown hair?! It's not like the girl was doing drugs or something! Anyway, since then I just thought she was WAY too harsh and blunt.

BUT...a few months before I got married my mom gave me The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage. I only recently finally read it...AND LOVED IT! At first her male and female defined roles seem stereotypical and biased....but as I read on, I really understand what she says and why. I think she gives profound and wise advice that I've really tried to incorporate into my marriage. And now I am beginning to read The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands (borrowed from my mom, who had the book autographed like the true fan she is!). And I love it! Maybe it just took me getting older and into "real" life to respect her . Anyway, I highly recommend her books-even if you think you loathe her, just try it! BUT, for the record....I still disagree with her ruling on the 16 year old call, but...my mom says "you'll understand when you're a parent!"


And...sorry for uproar about the confession! :) No babies here for a while for those of you that were predicting that! haha...we're good with a kitty and puppy for now...oh, and my Dr. Laura books of course!

3 comments:

  1. I love your confession! You are so great! I totally miss you at summer school, but it is going really well. I think my Level III's will be great, just a matter of getting into the swing of things. I sure do miss our daily chats... how is your time off? Are you loving your summer? I would love to get together and chat sometime. Hope things are going great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands and I liked it a lot, too. The part about women not walking all over their men really resonated with me, too. I don't want to wait on my husband hand and foot (this isn't the '50's) but that book made me realize that he shouldn't have to wait on me, either. Marriage is more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared LOVES Dr. Laura!!! I HATE her!!

    ReplyDelete