Monday, June 2, 2008

An epiphany....


Ok...so at work at Cafe Sabor on Saturday night, I was making a martini for a table. I was polishing the glass when suddenly blood was squirting and I was holding two pieces of glass! It had literally twisted right in half...and banged up my finger on its way! It really wasn't painful, but would not stop bleeding! Like non-stop! I grabbed a napkin and quickly soaked it. All is well now, but the point of this post is my little epiphany along the way...
How impressed I was by a sweet kid at my work.... He came around the corner and saw what happened, and immediately said, "Oh my gosh, are you ok?!" He literally put down what he was doing (and it was an extremely busy rush on a Saturday night) and walked me to the first aid kit. He cleaned it up and put a band-aid on. Then, when it bled through that one, he got me another one. OK, and he didn't just hand it to me, he sweetly put it on, asking if it hurt and being so cute!
As I was holding the blood-covered napkin and he was wrapping up my finger, another server walked by and said, "Hey, have you made that martini yet?" Right then, I just had this little epiphany....about how there are nice caring people in the world, and selfish people in the world too. It was so nice of this busser kid to realize that chips and salsa can wait while he does something nice and caring...then there's the guy who asked where his martini was! I wanted to say, "Sure, I'll get it right away....as long as you don't mind a pool of blood in it...or maybe you didn't notice the blood-soaked napkin in my hand...."
I don't know why this struck me so much, but I just thought of how easy it is in life to make every little thing a HUGE deal and lose sight of what really matters in life...being nice to others. I just hope that I can remember to be the type of person, wife, mother, daughter, teacher that will always drop what I'm doing to do what's important: be nice!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a nice person to help you (and to off set the jerkiness of other people.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm impressed with the busser. I would have been the one asking for the martini! I still have nightmares attributable to saturday night serving experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen sista! You should have asked if they wanted a bloody martini and shoved your hand in his face. Good job busser boy, you may think your job is not important but you JUST saved Katie's life.

    ReplyDelete