Monday, January 31, 2011

Never Been So Happy....

TO SEE FEBRUARY 1!

Remember when I said I was going to do a "monthly resolution", and January's (craaaaazy) resolution was an all-out ban on sugar. And...it was successful!

It was hard, at times. But overall, it was was way easier than I anticipated. Once I got it out of my head and was busy, it was fine. Everyday after lunch I just had a habit of grabbing a treat (or six) from the coveted treat jar on my desk. It was as natural as taking a swig of diet coke, which is a common occurrence in my life. Let's just say that I got a LOT of little things done around my classroom during that time that I'd normally be enjoying some sugary goodness. It was helpful for me to finish my meal with a piece of fruit, then chew on a piece of sweet gum. Helped to trick me into thinking I had a sweet treat....I mean, it was no Snickers, but it worked.

I had a little epiphany about this month of mine...I definitely do better in moderation. I feel like I can have a couple treats and still be healthy. Now, I didn't really start this month with a "get healthy" attitude, or a weight loss goal. But, I'll totally admit I was hoping it was a side-effect. (It wasn't). I kinda did it as more of a challenge, to see if I could. I found myself at times eating a meal, then going to the kitchen for a snack...simply to try to cure that sweet craving. What could have been cured with a small (ish) bowl of ice cream or a couple chocolate goodies was definitely not cured by a bowl of cereal....a handful of chips....toast with peanut butter....more chips. I did learn that I don't have to eat a treat just because it's there. When I couldn't even consider eating a treat that was there (hello, I went to baby shower yesterday....in all it's yummy treat glory!), it wasn't even a choice.

So, while I am glad that I fulfilled my resolution...I'm glad to be done! I definitely didn't think I could do it, totally thought I would cave in on a stressful day. Whew...and January had stressful days! Sometimes a little treat just helps the day. Full believer in that.

Next resolution:
In February, I will blog everyday.
Big or small,
something will be there daily.

*and the majority of said blog posts will most likely be written with treats in hand

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I didn't even make it a week on the sugar and only made it 3 weeks on the pop. January so totally kicked my booty and I gave in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! Can I just say I love your monthly resolutions! They inspire me and though I didn't join you in January I think I will try to follow your example for February.I'll take up the January one when my baby no longer craves Ice cream every night. :) Good luck with February! I'm excited to read your future posts! :)

    ReplyDelete