Thursday, February 11, 2010

Awkward....

So, now that I am back to work and want to continue to nurse Will as much as possible, I have to pump. I pump everyday during my lunch break. I'm SUPER nervous about how awkward that has the potential to be! That's a phone call home to explain that I hope to NEVER make! I cover my door window (with two layers...tape isn't that sticky), lock my door (and check that it's locked about 3 times), put a note up: "I'm busy...please come back later!" and close all the blinds.

Of course, I still get about 3 or 4 kids that come knocking at the door. When I first came back to work I explained to them that they need to make sure they get everything they need before they leave for lunch, because I have to "get some things done" during recess and have to lock the door. They all must think I'm so mean and anti-social for locking them out...little do they know it really is in their best interest....and mine.

So today a little girl said, "Teacher, why do you always lock the door at lunch?"

Me: "Oh I just have some things I have to do."

Her: "But why do you need to lock it?"

Me: "Just a lot to do!"

Her: "Well why do you cover the window?"

Me: "Oh I just don't want people to peek in while I'm trying to get things done."

Her: "Why?"

Me: "I just don't. Then I can't work!"

Her: "Well what work are you doing that you don't want other people to see?"

Me: "Oh just a lot of work. Anyway....what book are you reading?"

So persistent! Like my awkward change of subject? Ha...it's all I could think of to get this kid off my case! I feel so mean locking everyone out, but the quiet is kinda nice....Let's just hope that tape sticks and door lock works!

2 comments:

  1. You are so much braver that I am, I think that in addition to the OCD that I would develop from checking the lock on the door, I would become kind of paranoid that someone could see.

    I think that your change of subject was great, now just watch out for the rumors that the kids might start about you behind the locked door. Maybe it will be something about you "pumping" iron, and they will ask to see your muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I used to go into a coat closet at work and would do the same thing: check that the door was locked, put a sign up, etc. I had someone knock a couple times and it makes your heart pound!

    ReplyDelete