Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's Time...

So...I've been struggling with writing this post for a while...as I think religion is a very private and personal issue. And I think a lot of times it gets a little too social in Utah (and other places too I'm sure, but I have only Utah experience really). But, in the interest of keeping this blog as a journal of sorts and being able to print it someday....here goes.

I grew up without a religion really. I went to church a few times with my grandparents, and was baptized Methodist. It never seemed to be too big of a deal to me. But, as I've gotten older I've struggled with this more. I think life starts to mean more, and more questions come into play. Questions I didn't have an answer to. Basic questions and complex questions. As life got more complicated, making decisions about who I am, decisions about what I'll make of my life, decisions about where I'll go in life and what I think about life events....I was gradually realizing that I needed something more. Something to guide me more than just my own intuition, something to explain the whys of life, something to rely on when things are hard or even when things are good. One of my biggest eye openers has been working with the kids at my school. A lot of them have had such hard lives, with heartbreaking pasts. Seeing this has left me needing something to rely on...and left me wondering if their little lives would be different had their families had more guidance.

My freshman year of college, I went to a local Presbyterian church...but just didn't feel it. Each time I went to an LDS church I was filled with joy, and just felt right. I definitely don't think this happens to everyone, to each their own. But for me, it was undeniable.And I think that's what faith is....not really knowing, but having that feeling. THAT feeling. I had many LDS and non-LDS friends that were wonderful examples and good people. And honestly, I kinda prided myself on being able to say I was one of the few in Utah that are not LDS. Most people would assume that I had deviated from my family...and were surprised to find that no one on either side of my family is LDS. "But you seem LDS to me." so many would say... I find that to be such a funny statement. What makes someone "seem" LDS?! Someone even once said, "But you are so nice and normal!" Ha...even non-LDS people are nice and normal...Crazy?! I think that those are the kind of people that I want to prove that you can be normal and be of ANY religion!

As I've continued to explore, RJ and I made the decision for me to meet with the missionaries. This felt like such a big step to me...it was like finally acknowledging what I've been thinking. The thing is, I feel like if something really bad were to happen in my life, I'd need something to rely on. And it seems awfully selfish to wait until I need it to rely on it. Why not commit to something now, then have it guide my life no matter what's ahead?

As I've become a parent, I've really thought a lot about decisions I'll make in raising my children. Honestly, maybe this is selfish...but why not rely on a church's standards for some help in parenting? When I need to teach my kids core values, it's not just because I said so...it's because we have a set of values that we live by for a bigger purpose than just ourselves.

Speaking of family...What better guidelines and support for your marriage than a religion? And not just the LDS religion....any religion. Marriage is hard. Life is hard. We all need something to rely on, to pull us together and to keep us together when hard things come. Again, maybe selfish, but something bigger for help.

When I had thought about church before, I always got a little hung up on the coffee/alcohol part. I was sort of offended that someone/something would tell me what I can/can't consume. Plus, what if I want a glass of wine with dinner once in a while? Or what if I want a glass of wine when I go out with my friends? And I sure do like my Starbucks on a Monday morning...or Tuesday...or Wednesday....or...anyday. But, now as I think about these things....I have seen alcohol be a factor in a lot of bad, bad situations. Again, life is hard enough. Why add an extra component?! If I want to go out with my friends, it's the company of my friends I want...not the beverage. And honestly, if I falter once in a while and enjoy a Starbucks treat...I don't think that's so bad. Maybe it is, but for me personally, it's ok. Things could be a lot worse.

I struggled a lot with "those Utah Mormons"....cliche comments from people who are judgemental, and really just rude...."but you're so normal.....you seem so nice....non-Mormons are 'bad' " It took me a long time to realize that those comments and thoughts come from people, not their religion. This is a character issue, not a religious issue. I've never really been that type to want to be different...honestly, I think most often I'd rather blend in with the group. But again, I've been concerned about being one of THOSE classic, cliche Mormons. But I promise, I won't put an "R U LDS 2" sticker on my car, start wearing crazy long floral dresses, or become judgmental and say inappropriate, close-minded comments! Because, as we all know, not everyone is this way.

As I've been looking closely at the LDS church, I'm astounded by the philanthropy. I would be honored to be a part of a group that contributes so much to the community...the world. Religion aside, churches have a huge influence when there is a natural disaster (Haiti relief recently), or even just a small scale issue.

I'll be honest here....I don't know if every single morsel of what I have learned is true. And some little details I'll be honest, I just don't agree with. BUT, overall, I feel like this is what truly will be best for me as a person, wife, teacher, friend and mom. So, for my little family, this is what I need to rely on.

I certainly don't think any one thing works for everyone. Again, to each his own. Lives are different, things change, beliefs are different, etc. and that's what makes our world work. But for me, this is working. And I'm really excited about all that is ahead. And I'm so grateful to be given this opportunity.

This might sound silly, and I don't mean to belittle or degrade the religion....but in a way I think, why not?! I mean, we're saying that if I live my life this certain way (which I basically believe people should be living their lives anyway), I'll be healthier physically, and I may get to live with my husband and family forever?! I'll take my chances. Because even if it's not what will happen, I'll still have lived a good life and done my best.

RJ has been so kind and helpful...never once pressuring me in the slightest. And we've been so lucky on both sides of our family. When we got married, I got worried either side of our families would be upset that we were marrying someone of a different religion. But both families have been incredibly accommodating and kind. What could have been an awkward, unfriendly situation has never, ever been that way.

So, all this said....and I don't mean to sound like I need to defend my decision....but I just wanted all my thoughts out....And I wanted to make very very sure of this big decision. Because I certainly don't want to do it on a whim and change my mind down the road. I'm committed.

I'm getting baptized on March 6.
And I'm so incredibly excited to start this new endeavor.

(And holy cow this is the longest post I've ever done.
If you're still with me, bless you!)

24 comments:

  1. Oh Katie, what a touching and heartfelt post. Of course I'm crying right now. You are such an incredible woman not matter what religion you are but I'm happy for you that you have found something to be your guiding star and gives you the feel-good feeling. I was one of those close-minded people, although I didn't realize it at the time, and then you became my roommate. You and your family showed me that you could have a strong family and be good, upstanding people no matter your religion. You affected me in so many ways on how I saw all types of people. I'm so happy and excited for you as you begin this new part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your intimate thoughts - I echo many of them. I too am excited for this new part of your life to begin and wish somehow I were closer in proximity to support you that day. You have my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- I read this post with tears in my eyes. Even having grown up in the church, I still had a lot of those questions, too, and I came to the same realization as an adult, that being LDS was the right thing for me. I'm so happy that you've found what was missing in your life. You are an example to me of really being true to yourself, thank you! Congratulations on this big life event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! what a post and congrats to you! we completely agree with you and since having a child it makes you realize how important family really is! we seem to all go through this same thought process as you did, and eventually you have to do what is right and best for you and your family!

    kudos to you and good luck! and is rj already a member? (sorry I dont know all the details.......)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie - congratulations. You are so splendid. I wish the best for you in all you do!

    I often come to the "why not" conclusion with a lot of things - but it works! And I think from there, I gain a conviction of those things - family value, no alcohol, etc.

    And that "oh you seem Mormon" still extends out in California... so I don't know what it is about our culture that brings out the odd people. In California, I've come to the conclusion that so many people only hang out with Mormons -- and it breeds some "shelteredness" about people.

    Anyway! Super long comment but congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! When I met you I thought you were LDS also! When I found out you weren't, it didn't change the way I looked at you at all. You've always been kind, friendly, and loving. As I read your post, I kept seeing you in baptism clothes (all white!) and then I saw "I'm getting baptized March 6" and started to cry! Congratulations on this decision and I wish you the best as this new adventure begins!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm seriously crying right now. Um.... So, I'm one of those people that thought you were LDS till now, I'm embarrassed to say. Good for you for takin a leap! I really hope you find everything you're looking for and more. Again, Wow! Congratulations. Let me know how best to support you! :) You're the best! Of course, I just want you to know that I thought that before this post too! :) Will and RJ are lucky to have you ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie that is awesome. I would love to be there if that is ok. Will you let me know the details? Like where and what time? I will fly up to Utah that weekend. Let me know.
    Debbie Rollins Willborn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read a wonderful testimony. Thanks Katie. I needed that.
    Steve Clark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's great! I am so happy for you! I can't believe you didn't say anything before! Of course I was crying as I read your post. I am so lucky to have such a great sis-in-law! And you are such a good Aunt! Carter loves you and I know Avery will too:) Not just because of this decision, but because you have always been such a kind and very genuine person. It is great to know you have something to rely on and guide you and I am so glad that you found that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Katie we are still with you! (Maybe more than you know) I had to grab Darren and read your post to him- Darren says kick butt! We are so excited for you- I have struggled with the people vs. religion my whole life and it is an amazing experience to be able to separate the two! We are so happy for you! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read your post and I literally have chills! I appreciate so much hearing your most personal thoughts on this sometimes touchy subject. There are times when I, as a member of the church, struggle with wondering if it's the right thing. Reading this post lets me know it's definitely the right thing! Thank you so much for strengthening me and CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie thanks so much for sharing! You are such an amazing person and friend and I am so happy to have you as an example in my life. I really admire your courage and conviction to look into something and do what is right for you. I would love to be there if you wanted me :). I love you to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Katie. Please know that all Mormons are not "cliche" and I happen to love Starbucks frapp's. You are adorable and wonderful and I think that its great you found something that fit with you and works so well with your family. Your baby is delicious by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie since the days when I lived with you I have been waiting for this. To each his own, but I had a feeling about you. I think i have some small psyic abilites. Anyway..I was so touched by your post and I'm so happy for you. I think life is about happiness and you are the epidemy. Follow your heart. I love you! I miss you tons! I wish I could be there for your baptism. It is exactly one year from when my husband was baptized so I will always remember it. And don't worry about not knowing if you believe or even agree with everything (I'm with ya, wine is the best. Pomigranite!) Thats how religion becomes not just a religion and becomes more, an actual part of you, by slowly over time gaining testimony from experience. The more I gain a testimony of the more I realize is out there that I still have yet to learn and feel, for myself, that it's right. I am so glad you posted your personal thoughts. Made my whole night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie its me Jill. The above Brandon Douglas is my soon to (sat.27th)husband!! I was logged in under his name and I deleted it to put it under my name:) I am so happy for you! You are a very honest and sincere person and I got goose bumps reading your testimony. Good luck to you and your little family:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post. It's so calming to find something that works for you and feels right. It's so neat to hear how you've done this on your own time and are ready for yourself! I'm thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy to hear the news. And to get to read your testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katie! Congratulations on your big decision! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and helping all of us to think more open mindedly. I am SO EXCITED for you and have always thought you of you as AMAZING! Hope teaching is going well and you are just loving that sweet baby boy :) YAY for March 6th!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I look up to you for so many reasons and this post is just another one of those reasons. You are so honest, open and can see the good in everything. I am excited for you and your new adeventure. And like so many others, I cried like a baby as I read this. You deserve every bit of happiness that comes your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Since I left a comment on your newest post, I had to come down and read this post I somehow missed. I was so touched to read your story. When I was 18 I fell away from the church, because growing up as a typical Utah mormon, I didn't know anything but that. I wanted to experience what it would be like to be "just a normal person without religion." I remember that part of my life being the hardest darkest part of my life. I had so many scary things happening because of bad decisions, it was at that point I knew that I couldn't deny that this church was true and that it truely made me a different person being part of such a great church. It took just that one year to strengthen my testimony and get me back to the road I needed to be on. I know that feeling you are talking about. It's a feeling that's undeniable, and I am so excited for you and your family and this amazing experience and journey you get to take.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was with Nick today, and he told me about your decision/blog about it. I want you to know that I am very happy for you. Religion has always been a personally challenging subject for me. Especially with my background. I have struggled with finding myself in the realm of religion and with my relationship with god. I have felt lost, confused, and conflicted many times. Through all of it I have found my path and I am very happy with my beliefs and relationship with god. I am thankful for the beliefs that I was raised in, and wouldn't change it for anything. 'To each his own' has always had huge meaning to me. I feel extremely blessed to have family and friends that accept me for who I am, and for the path that I have found that is right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. congratulations, cute steuri!
    i'm glad i ran across your blog today - to help remind me what's important.
    hope all is well.
    and your little boy, oh my! what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete