Friday, October 3, 2008

What a letdown...

Every year when it's time to introduce cursive, the kids panic, saying, "I don't know what that says!" So, this year, I thought I'd ease into it, gradually writing predictable, often-used words on the board in cursive so they can begin to recognize letters.

So, yesterday I was writing their "to-do" list on the board. The first item was, "test" (in cursive). As I was writing, I heard,

"Awesome! We all get a treat!"

Then, another student, "It doesn't say treat, it says test!"

I'd take a treat over a spelling test anyday!

3 comments:

  1. Oh cute. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a kid-friendly explanation of some difficulties in cursive -- followed by a demo of a technique for teachers to help get the kids reading cursive faster and better -- visit the free brief video on-line at http://www.HandwritingThatWorks and explore the site's other handwriting facts and resources.

    Kate Gladstone
    Founder and CEO, Handwriting That Works
    Director, the World Handwriting Contest

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is easy to see how one would confuse the words test and treat, I mean Halloween is right around the corner, and I know that treats are all that I think about too.

    You must have some really fun conversations that go on in your class each day.

    ReplyDelete