Sunday, July 6, 2008

R.J.'s Birthday!


OK...so R.J.'s birthday was clear back in May! I'm a horrible wife, I know! But don't fret, we celebrated on the day of, it's just that the blogging of the event is coming months later!

So...not only was it the first birthday of his that we were celebrating being married, but it was also a BIG one, the BIG 3-0! So, I tried to plan something fun and opted for a surprise party. I spread the word among his family and friends, planned food, and now the biggest task...getting rid of him for a few hours! I tried to clean the house enough to be clean, but not too much as to make him suspect something. I went grocery shopping the night before, super late while he thought I was closing at Cafe Sabor. I had to hide all the food in the school's fridge so he wouldn't ask about the 24 hamburger patties in our freezer!

So, the day of, I had his friend Chuck talk him into going to a movie....I was so worried that he'd say no or it'd fall through! The second he left I started cleaning the house and decorating, got food ready, etc. My friend Alexis picked up 2 dozen balloons in her little Jeep...SO funny to see her pull up, smothered with balloons!
The best part was when R.J. called, saying he was on his way home. Problem was...only my parents and Alexis had arrived! Which would be fun and all...but....

So, I had to think fast...and for some reason all that came to mind was, "Can you go to the store on your way? I need...vegetable oil!" Vegetable oil?! Who demands vegetable oil from their husband on his birthday?! He said, "Can we get it later?" Luckily he gave in when I said, "No, I strated making you a cake to surprise you, and it's the only thing I need before I can bake it!" haha, lame! So, about ten min. later, in he walked, with a very confused expression, and yes, a bottle of vegetable oil!
Oh, my parents got him a SUPER cool grill that we've wanted for forever! It kinda looks like R2D2, and we LOVE it! The party was so fun...we grilled and hung out! It was so nice of everyone to come, and amid R.J.'s shock, I think he enjoyed the celebrations!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, every time I try to pull a fast one on James I get caught. I love the grill, I think that it looks cool enough to just have around, but totally a bonus that it will do some amazing grilling as well.

    The picture of the jeep with the balloons is so funny, how did she see?
    How clever are you to use the schools fridge, great job. It looks like it was a fun party.

    ReplyDelete