Saturday, September 6, 2008

I haven't blogged in a while...I've just been SO busy! I forgot how much school consumes our lives...in a good way! But we're just working all the time it seems, and when we get home we're much too tired for cleaning, eating, laundry...much less blogging! Speaking of school, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my class. They are so awesome-a really great group of kids. I wish it was ethical to post pictures of my class on here, because they're great. And I have some funny stories, that you really just need a face to go with the story, you know?

I try to eat lunch with my kids in the cafeteria at least once a week. It's so interesting to sit with them, not in the "teacher" role, when something has to get done....When I sit with them during their free time, I get to hear their conversations, see them interact, hear about their weekend, friends, family, etc. In the nature of getting things done, the time in the classroom just has to be so structured....but in the cafeteria or out at recess, I get to just hear from them. Anyway, it provides for some great insight. And, it's good for me too-to get away from my classroom, my "to-do" list, and just enjoy the innocence of an 8 year old. So, yesterday was pizza day in the cafeteria, so of course that was a "stay-and-eat-with-my-class" kind of day. Somehow the conversation turned to what the kids wanted to be when they grow up....and the following ensued...

Girl: "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Boy: "Eh...nothin' "

Girl (horrified): "Nothing?! You can't be nothing..."

Other girl: "Yeah, you have to be something so you can buy stuff..."

Other girl: "Oh no...maybe you'll be homeless...."

Girl (still not hiding how horrified she is): "Yeah, you'll need money to buy a fancy car..."

Other girl: "Or even to buy your family food to eat."

New boy perks up: "You don't have to be anything,
you can just get a wife to make all the food."

HA! I wanted to bust up....I forgot how when you're little, you really think the wife just gets the food (no money involved) and just makes it! I just had this picture of some man on the couch saying, "Woman, where's my dinner?" haha. Anyway, thought that was funny!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... I love it!! That is so funny! I wish life were like what an 8 year old perceives it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that being nothing is the same as being homeless. classic. That is funny. Ahh the inner workings of the 8 year old mind.

    ReplyDelete