Sunday, June 3, 2012

June Goal....Yikes!

Ok, first of all, I've become a horrible blogger! May was a whirlwind of school craziness. I had a bit of an epiphany....As RJ finished up school, I knew it would be so fun to have the same schedule. Especially once our kids are in school, we'll all have the same days off of school/work. Something I failed to take into consideration is that when we're busy and stressed out about work...we both are. I think in a lot of marriages, one or the other has a busy, hectic schedule and the other can kinda pick up the slack at home, with kids, etc. This year, and especially May, was a bit of an eye opener (in a good way!) that our stressful times will need some accommodating! Which is fine, we're just learning how to best navigate the craziness!

SO...although I haven't even blogged EASTER yet....Here I go with my next monthly goal! May's goal was to clear off my school desk daily. It went...mostly well. Toward the end (again, the craziness!), things just got....crazy! But overall, it was ok.

My June goal? Well...I'm nervous! RJ's sister, Amy, has convinced me (conned me? ;) ) into running the Blacksmith Fork Freedom Run on July 4. It's a 15k (9.3 miles). So...June's goal is to be ready! I've been following my strict training regimen that my hardcore trainer (AMY!) has given me, and so far...all is well! Let me tell you though, I do not care one little bit about my time...as long as I'm not the very last runner. I just want to finish to be able to say I did it! One of those life goals that if I don't do it now, when will I? So...here goes!

And...um....runners out there? I'll take all the advice I can get. Training strategies? Clothing? Shoes? Energy goop? Day of the race? Etc. (Liz? Marcus? I'm looking at you....!)


3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's pretty dang ambitious. I'm doing a 4th of July 5k and I'm already overwhelmed. I'll be thinking of you when I'm done with my 5 and send you good vibes. My sister in law (who is an avid runner-think ragnar)-- does the energy jelly bellies- Sport beans- she says they help during the race.
    http://www.jellybelly.com/search/go#w=*&modaf=r:cat1:sportbeans &srt=0

    Good luck woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie....where to begin with running?!?! Start with a small run, and just keep going further and further each week. Build some endurance, and take a day off every once in a while. Find a comfortable shoe that is good for you and your feet. Everyone runs differently and lands on their feet in different ways. Go to a running store and they will show you and recommend the best shoe for you. Wear comfortable clothes (think less is better, ha!) and just have fun with it. make a good playlist that motivates you and schedule out the days and times that you are going to run. Drink lots of water (and soda, ha ha!) and push your boy in the jogging stroller too.

    Good luck, I am sure you will be fine and love it!! Email me if you have more ?'s!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH!!! what a great goal... except for the fact that i can't run it with you!!! Ok, start off slow and make sure you have running days and days off. When I first started training, I'd build up to about 3 miles every other day during the week and then I'd do my bigger run on Saturday so I'd rest on Sunday. Then the next week I'd add another mile to my longer run. I don't like goop- it makes me gag- but some people love it. Just make sure to train with it if you plan to use it the day of your race. The right shoes are a must- go to Al's or some place to make sure your shoes are appropriate for the way you walk/run. Also- at that sock outlet in N. Logan, they have THE BEST running socks. and they're CHEAP! once I started wearing them, i never got blisters again. Comfy clothes are a must, but really, running clothes are best. If you're interested, my friend chana runs the apparel department for icon and can get you some quality running gear for cost so let me know if you want a good pair of shorts/capris or a good top or two. You'll be amazed at what a difference your clothes can make. A good playlist is a MUST and I actually found I liked training for my marathons with soundtracks (like WICKED, Little Mermaid, etc) because it was like listening to a story but with upbeat music. But if you want a playlist, let me know and I'll send over my running one!!!

    ReplyDelete