Thursday, December 2, 2010

Please Help!

You guys, I have to tell you....I almost cried. In class. Today. I don't ever cry.

This sweet boy didn't have a coat. He just wears a sweatshirt everyday. I wish it was ethical for me to show you a picture of him, to put a face with a name (well, I can't even write the name!). Anyway, our school just got him one. He proudly came in our classroom with it. He showed me how it's reversible, how it's already labeled with his name. This sweet thing will be warm, and in a "cool" coat that he likes. Warmed my heart. I teared up.

You see, our school (Ellis Elementary in Logan)
has approx. 400 students.
Here's the kicker...

76% of them are at a poverty level.
SEVENTY-SIX PERCENT. Wow.

So, Christmas is obviously a time of great need.

Last year, one of my dear friends called and said that she and her now-husband wanted to sponsor a family. They were SO generous and just went crazy. She of course doesn't want any credit for this kind venture....but I'm going to give it to her anyway, because most of you out there know her....Jenny Olsen took this sweet family under her wing. She went crazy- got them things she knew they needed, and things she knew they'd love. She didn't stop there...she only received info (sizes, likes, etc.) for the children...but being the kind person she is, she also purchased things for the mom and dad, because she didn't want them to go without.

Our school provides "Santa Sacks" for families who don't quite qualify for Sub for Santa, but need the help. In each sack, the child gets a pair of pants, a shirt, underwear, socks, a blanket, a toy, and a book. Each sack costs about $70 to put together.

So....I'm asking for help. These kids are the sweetest things you've ever seen (aren't all kids though?!). I know many of you do many things in your community at this time of year. If you have any extra you can do for these Ellis kids, trust me, it will be appreciated!

You can donate at www.loganschoolsfoundation.org.
Click on donate,
and indicate that is for Ellis Santa Sacks.

I hope your heart is warmed by your own generosity. I can tell you, when we went to drop off the gifts that Jenny and Blaine bought for the family, we all had tears. It was amazing. We did it "doorbell ditching" style by covering their porch with gifts marked "from Santa", festively wrapped of course, and ran! The dad opened the door, gave a wave, and they loaded all their new gifts in. We reveled in the moment! Every time I see that sweet boy at school wearing a shirt I know Jenny so kindly gave him, I just think of how wonderful that experience was!

Thanks for considering donating
even the smallest amount,

anything you can.

4 comments:

  1. I cried reading this. I will support this great program!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome Katie (can I call you that...I don't think I've ever called you that before!)

    I got to be the one to give it to him and I cried too! He is a sweetheart. It took me 5 minutes to convince him that I was giving him the coat to keep. He though I was just lending it to him for recess. He honestly couldn't believe that he was going to have a "coat that cool that he really got to take home." There really wasn't anything special about the coat; just kind of basic and it made me wonder if he had never owned a coat before. It broke my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard what you are doing in that situation. I am amazed that you are able to have a positive impact on kids who have so much negative stacked against them. Good on you, Katie. That blows my mind how many kids in Logan live in poverty. I had no concept that it was that bad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help! I want to get my nephew a hat like all the cute ones you buy for your son. Where can I get them and how much?! And my address is 8655 Jones Rd. #521 Houston Tx 77065

    ReplyDelete